Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Please Help!!

I will be in Scotland for a little over a week at the beginning of April 2018. It has been a dream of mine to visit Scotland since I was 10 and now that its finally happening I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed because I want to do ALL.THE.THINGS.

We're going to be in the following places. I'd love to have some hiking or mountain walking added in here and there if possible.
Edinburgh - 4 days
Aberdeen - 1 or 2 days
Inverness - 1 or 2 days
Loch Lomond Area - 2 days

Any recommendations of things that are a must see would be truly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ash

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Hey @agarrett_SLC (guessing Salt Lake City, Utah :smile:), firstly so happy to hear you're visiting Scotland. Based on your itinerary, the Loch Lomond area bit would be great to do some hillwalking, Ben Lomond is a strenuous and Conic Hill a relaxed hill walk in the East Loch Lomond area. Checkout the WalkHighlands website for a comprehensive listing of all of Scotland's top walks. Visit the super-pretty village of Luss when you're there.

Edinburgh is beautiful bit in my personal opinion 4 days is a day too long, I'd bank that day elsewhere (probably Aberdeen). My favourite attractions are Royal Botanical Garden and Arthurs Seat (the latter on a nice day). Try a variety of Scottish food & drink during your time in the city (recommendations linked with attractions).

I love the town of Stonehaven & Dunnottar castle near Aberdeen. As a whisky lover, I also love the Speyside area between Aberdeen & Inverness, even if you don't love whisky, drive through the area of Speyside while going to Inverness, it is a longer route but very beautiful. Take the free Glenlivet tour when you're at it. Alternatively, you can stop at Moray on the main route to see Dolphins. Hope this helps, feel free to ask specifics.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside fest)

• HarryMacHarryMac Member
    Hi,  

I agree with the comments above, if you are in Aberdeen check out the granite architecture - Union Street (the Main Street) is looking a bit sad these days but stop and take time to look around and LOOK UP.  Marischal College (on Broad Street) is awesome! King's College specifically and "Old Aberdeen" generally.  The 'Prince of Wales' bar is an institution.

If it's cities you are interested in consider Dundee - going through a massive regeneration program - check out the V&A (Victoria & Albert Museum under construction), The Discovery (Scott of the Antartic (I think :-) ) publishing (DC Thomson comics) and industry (jam & jute).

it would be useful to know how you are travelling and what your interests are.... if you are independently mobile (hire car) then consider going North from Inverness along the A9 (the main road North from Stirling to Thurso) over the Struie to Dornoch then via Lairg and/or the Falls of Shin to the West Coast (Torridon, Applecross, Kyle of Lochalsh & Skye (Bridge from Kyle but consider going back via Ferry to Mallaig) then back along the banks of Loch Ness to Inverness or South to Glencoe.

You could do it in 1 day, but allow 2 - longer would be better.  Scotland's cities are great but the countryside, especially the West Coast is, for me, what it is all about!

LOADS of walking in Scotland to suit all abilities but take care the weather in Scotland especially on the hills can and does change dramatically in minutes.  Check out WalkHighlands website.

Hope this helps & that you have an amazing time.
  • VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @agarrett_SLC!

Whilst you are in the region of Aberdeen, one of my favourite hikes is up a small hill which has lots of different peaks and it's called Bennachie.  The views from the hill are of the rolling green fields stretching across rural Aberdeenshire which are something quite special.  The hill itself has played an important part in the regions history and the remains of a 2000 year old settlements can still be seen.  There's also a great visitor centre at the bottom with lots of interesting information about the area.  More information about Bennachie can be found here.