Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Top hiking spots in Scotland

Wild and rugged, breathtaking and picturesque, gentle and relaxing, Scotland has a hiking route to suit every ability.

There are 282 munros for a start – that’s mountains that stretch to more than 3000ft.

And there are countless countryside trails, forest walks and seaside strolls.

Arthur’s Seat in Edinburgh is a great starting point. Stride to the top for unrivalled views over the city.

Or conquer Ben Nevis, Britain’s highest mountain and a four hour slog to the summit. Don’t forget your sandwiches.

The West Highland Way is on many hikers’ bucket list, stretching 96 miles from Milngavie outside Glasgow all the way to Fort William.

Or how about the Rob Roy Way from Drymen to Pitlochry, or the Speyside Way in the shadow of the majestic Cairngorms?

Scotland is paradise for walkers. So where do your feet take you? 

Comments

• Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    We did a beautiful hike recently in Glen Quaich by Amulree. A loop round Loch Freuchie. Such a pretty place. Lots of clearance ruins too which I loved being a history geek. 

I wrote a blog about that hike. 

Another nice one in the same area is Sma Glen. Not far from Crieff but it looks like it's in the middle of the Highlands. 

The Munros Dreish and Mayar near Kirriemuir via the spectacular Corrie Fee are stunning in summer when the purple heather is in full bloom. 

So many great hikes in Scotland. 
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• EwanEwan VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭

... Scotland has a hiking route to suit every ability.

I agree.  While Scotland doesn't necessarily have high mountains (like the Alps or the Rockies) it has a huge variety of landscape in a relatively small area. 

A French friend was once quite sceptical about the size of Scotland's hills.  But he soon realised that many mountains rise directly up from a sea loch rather than starting from a high mountain pass.  So that's often a 3000+ foot climb ...

Wherever you plan to walk in Scotland, Walk Highlands is the go-to resource to find online descriptions of routes.  This includes lowland and coastal walks as well as long-distance trails and mountains.  It also includes walker-friendly accommodation.

There are some great family-friendly walks that give you a real sense of adventure while being perfectly do-able for all ages.  These are my recommendations for some of the best family-friendly walks, my top 3 being Ben A'an (Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park), Conic Hill (also LL & Trossachs NP) and The Quiraing (Skye).

Finally, the obvious warnings apply.  Even in mid-summer, while Fort William may be basking in warm sunshine** it may be blowing a hoolie (gale) on the summit of Ben Nevis with no visibility.  So make sure you're prepared for any weather, take plenty food and water, and wear appropriate clothing.

Above all, enjoy yourselves - Scotland is a walker's paradise.

**  admittedly, this doesn't happen that often ...

Exploring Scotland's wild places by foot, bike and camper van

WildaboutScotland blog | Twitter

• kirstyaturnerkirstyaturner VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
    Ben A'an is a fantastic hill, and for a relatively short (but sharp!) hike you're rewarded with beautiful views over Loch Katrine:

Puck's Glen, near Dunoon, Argyll, is an absolute gem of a woodland trail:

For anyone looking for a serious hike, but not necessarily a Munro, I'd have to recommend Suilven in the Assynt area.  Suilven is not one of our highest mountains, but it has a long walk in and you are climbing more or less from sea level, so not to be underestimated.

I think the landscape in Assynt is incredible and as well as Suilven, you have Stac Pollaidh, the Quinag, Canisp, and Ben More Assynt to name just a few amazing hillwalks in that area.
    Kirsty Instagram | Ask me about all things Scotland, from hillwalking to highland dancing...
  • ScotlandTraveloholicScotlandTraveloholic VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
    @kirstyaturner ;Puck's Glen it's fab no matter what season is <3

You can immerse yourself in this short, scenic route which will you take to the top of the Grey Mare’s Tail, the 5th highest and one of the most spectacular waterfalls in all of the United Kingdom

Scotland Traveloholic
     | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube
    Simply Sharing Scotland!
  • VisitScotlandIntroVisitScotlandIntro Administrator
    These are all fantastic options. That shot of Puck's Glen in particular has got me to add it to my list of places to go one of these days.
  • DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Puck's Glen on my list too! It's so magical <3
    I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
    Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)
  • LLACampbellLLACampbell VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
    I climbed Ben Nevis when I was in high school and it is one of my favourite hikes. Although it was quite challenging, I would absolutely love to do it again as the views were absolutely incredible! 

Just remember to be prepared for the snow at the top, even in summer!

• VisitScotlandMiriamVisitScotlandMiriam Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @LLACampbell good work! Yes, it's good to be prepared for all weathers in Scotland! Have you got any more Munros in mind? Take a look at our walking pages for more inspiration and tips  :)
    I'm an Edinburgher who works in the VisitScotland Content Team - have you seen our blog?
  • TheChaoticScotTheChaoticScot VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    I recently climbed An Sgurr on the Isle of Eigg. It actually looks much harder than it is, and is a nice and steady incline, across varied terrain to the top. 

We met a few island coos along the way, walked through a 'Lord of the Rings' style passageway, and drooled over the views of Muck, Rum and Skye.

Follow my adventures on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram 

Have a wee nosey at my blog  

Former tour guide and current blether. Edinburgh girl whose <3 is in the Scottish Islands. Talk to me about scenic walks, photography, places to eat, public transport, exciting adventures and history  :)
    Oh wow! Stunning @TheChaoticScot! I keep saying I want to explore the smalls isles, there is too much to choose from in our bonnie Scotland. Beautiful photos, very LOTR! I would imagine it would be a more isolated hike with not many people around.  <3  <3  <3
  • TheChaoticScotTheChaoticScot VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Eigg is my favourite island so far Dawn
    @DMWScotland - absolutely fell in love with it  <3 We didn't see another soul on our hike, just lots of coos and their wee calves  :)
    Follow my adventures on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram 

Have a wee nosey at my blog  

Former tour guide and current blether. Edinburgh girl whose <3 is in the Scottish Islands. Talk to me about scenic walks, photography, places to eat, public transport, exciting adventures and history  :)
  • VisitScotlandMiriamVisitScotlandMiriam Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited July 2016
    @TheChaoticScot @DMWScotland

A memorable climb for me was Ben Arthur (The Cobbler) when I caught the train up from Stirling, had all three seasons in one day and then came down the mountain to warm up with a well-deserved dram before hopping back on the train.

If you're not sure about scaling big heights, but want to know what's it's like then check out the 360 outdoor adventure videos - they'll give you an idea of what reaching four different summits in Scotland is like, all from the safety of your screen :smile:

Here's the Innaccessible Pinnacle on Skye:

Image © Cut Media
    I'm an Edinburgher who works in the VisitScotland Content Team - have you seen our blog?
    edited July 2016
    Hi @VisitScotlandMiriam, thanks, I need to add a few more munros to my challenges! That Pinnacle on Skye is amazing! I don't think I'd ever have the balance to try that. Maybe in my younger days lol.

• VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @ScotlandTraveloholic
    I went to Grey Mare's Tail at the weekend with my 2 walking buddies. We had a fantastic time and the views of the waterfall are stunning. Did you climb up to Loch Skeen? 
    The drive from Edinburgh (via Peebles, Innerleithen and St Mary's Loch) was very scenic. After the walk which took about 2-2.5 hours we went for a comforting coffee and cake :p  in Moffat before driving back up the A701 to Edinburgh. Really lovely and I think sometimes overlooked part of the country!