Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Planning The Details - Honey Moon Trip

Hello! My soon to be husband and I are going to Scotland after staying in Dublin, Ireland for 3 nights starting on July 2nd. 
We booked a trip through Authentic Ireland travel so we know where we're staying and in what cities. We'll be going from Edinburgh to Inverness, then over to Skye, down to the Glencoe/Fort William area, to Sterling, then back to Edinburgh. 

We'll be renting a car (we'll have a GPS and I'm getting the Verizon overseas data package) so hopefully we won't get too lost. 

I'm probably overthinking this but I don't know what to pack. I want to get a rain coat and some hiking/rain boots because I hear, more often than not, it rains. My question is - are there a lot of style differences between the UK and the US? Are jeans and dressy casual blouses acceptable? Anything that immediately makes you look like a tourist?

Also - any recommendations for things to do (other than really touristy things) in the areas I listed? Any really good places to eat, pubs, flea markets, shops, etc?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @srmartin and welcome to the community! 

It's fantastic that you have chosen to spend part of your honeymoon in Scotland! :) There's not a huge style difference between fashion in the UK and US and you would definitely not look out of place wearing jeans and dressy casual blouses.  I think it is a brilliant idea to pack a rain coat - the weather in Scotland is very changeable so layers are also a good idea.  You will be traveling through some of the most beautiful parts of Scotland which offer some great walking so pack your hiking boots so you can get out and explore! This section of our website may also be useful in helping you plan what to pack.

I'm sure you will have a fantastic time and check out these sections on our website for some more inspiration about things to see and do in the regions you will be visiting: