Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Aberdeen

What are the best things to do during the day in Aberdeen 6/18-6/22.  My friends will be attending conference during the day...need to stay out of trouble...yoga classes...spin studios?

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    I would personally travel around Aberdeenshire, it is a relatively under-appreciated area of Scotland. @MogMJMR is the expert in that region and this other thread has some more recommendations. Stonehaven is my personal favourite town in the East Coast of Scotland housing the Dunnottar Castle over dramatic cliffs (this is not exaggeration). Braemar is in my bucketlist.

Locals on this forum should fill you in on things to do in the city. Here's tea & cake recommendations from yet another thread :smile:
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, DunoonSpeyside)

• YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    Aberdeen is great, it's my nearest city. What sort of things are you interested in?
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk
  • VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff

Hi @kimmyR!  There's plenty do do in Aberdeen and if you enjoy fitness classes you might like the Aberdeen Sports Village.  It's also near the beautiful cobbled streets of Old Aberdeen where you can wander around taking in the beauty of the old granite buildings which include Kings College and St. Machars Cathedral.  Cruickshank Botanic Gardens are also nearby and if you the Aberdeen University Museum of Zoology is also interesting.

The beach esplanade is also near the Sports Village. A stroll along the sea front, or on the long sandy beach is one of my favourite things to do in Aberdeen.  From the esplanade you can even do some dolphin spotting although I find the best place to watch the dolphins is from the Torry Battery car park on the opposite side of the harbour. Whilst you are near the sea front you have to try a famous Aberdeen whippy ice cream (you deserve it after your workout :)
     ) before taking a stroll down to the old fishing village of Footdee (or Fittie as its known in Aberdeen) at the east end of the harbour where you can wander through the cobbled streets and quaint fishing cottages.  

The city centre is fantastic for shopping and there is also a PureGym within the Union Square shopping centre that offers lots of different fitness classes.  Apart from the shops, bars and restaurants; Aberdeen Maritime MuseumAberdeen Art Gallery and the Tolbooth Museum are all within walking distance and offer lots of information about the history of the city.  If you have time, the David Welch Winter Gardens are also worth a visit and the surrounding Duthie Park is also fun to explore.