Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

A beginner's guide to bagging a Munro

SmidgeSmidge VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
You will probably have heard of Scotland’s highest mountain, Ben Nevis which tops 4412ft (1345m) or maybe Ben Lomond, which towers above Loch Lomond, or taken a photo of the spectacular Buachaille Etive Mòr, the gateway to Glencoe. However, whilst the mountains themselves are spectacular, to get a real sense of what Scotland’s scenery is all about you need to get up into the hills and bag a ‘Munro’. 

Named after aristocrat climbed, Sir Hugh Munro, bagging Scotland’s mountains is a national hobby - and with 282 of them to climb - a fantastic challenge. One year ago I had never climbed a mountain, I was tired, and unfit and promising ‘i’ll climb a Munro, one day’. Then I challenged myself to get started and caught the bug - I have now climbed over 15,000 metres this year. That’s higher than Everest!

Scotland’s mountains might be small (compared to those worldwide) but they are mighty - I’ll be honest and say that no Munro is actually easy – climbing 3000ft is hard going, whatever your fitness. Plus you will have to deal with Scotland’s weather which is unpredictable at best!  

As part of the BBC’s This is Life in Scotland series I have put together a beginner's guide to bagging a Munro. To me, Munro bagging is not really about climbing the biggest hills (I’ve yet to conquer Ben Nevis) or ‘compleating’ all 282, instead, climbing Munros is personal challenge – to discover that you can! If need any more encouragement, have a look at my beginner’s guide to bagging a Munro.

<iframe width="400" height="500" frameborder="0" src="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p053dqxm/player"></iframe>

I have more advice climbing Munros on my blog, Love From Scotland, including what to wear, how to deal with the weather, safety advice - and most importantly will you get a view! 

Kate ;Love From Scotland
Tiny little travel blogger. Always on a Scotland adventure. Mostly up a Munro. Follow me on TwitterInstagram

Comments

• VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I climbed my first Munro Ben Chonzie last year in Perthshire and actually found it less challenging than climbing Ben Vrackie near Pitlochry (a Corbett - little short of a Munro). This year, my friends and I attempted Ben Lawers at the end of April but the weather turned against us and we had to turn round - very frustrating when we were so close to the top!!! We are planning our next one in July, maybe Ben Ledi in the Trossachs. I would definitely recommend Munro bagging - you don't need to be particularly fit and it's a wonderful way to challenge yourself and connect with nature.